Based on the fact that it’s the most popular show on cable television, chances at this point in time you have seen Pawn Stars on the History Channel. Not only does that place actually exist, but it currently one of the hottest attractions in Vegas.
Here is what I’ve learned about the art of the deal by watching the show:
1. Rick will always call one of his friends before buying something.
2. The friend will give the price of the item at auction.
3. Rick will always ask you what you want for the item in question. He will never make an offer first.
4. Rick’s in business to make money. When you set your price, it’s a safe bet that you will get about half of what the appraiser said it would go for.
5. Don’t haggle with the old man. Once he sets his price, he will only come down.
Yes, it is a pawnshop. But they have a lot more to look at than your standard imitation Stratocasters and circular saws that you may find at the neighborhood store.